05 December 2011

Chrome vs. Firefox

Compared with other services, I usually found the stats given by StatCounter having bigger values for Firefox (have no idea about their, or others, methodologies), this is why I don't take the exact numbers as absolute but was looking at the trends. The latest report, which made the rounds in the tech press is showing how worldwide Chrome slightly overtook Firefox (with half a percent) and both of them added are way above Internet Explorer (10 percents). This pretty much mirrors my anecdotal evidence of seeing IE mostly on the computers of the most clueless users, Firefox on those installed by a knowledgeable friend or admin and Chrome used more and more by simple-to-average users and even techies.

chrome vs firefox
Is funny how the stats change when looking at my country, Romania, here the places of Internet Explored are switched: Firefox is the top-dog on a slow but sure decline and Chrome just overtaking Internet Explorer for the second place. Of course, the sum of Firefox and Chrome is crushing IE. Not bad.
chrome vs firefox
As for myself, I still use Firefox as my main browser for the simple reason I can't stand the UI of Chrome. I am worried about Mozilla's idiotic policy to blindly copy the Chrome UI (is a different browser, it should look and feel different, otherwise why use it? I use it for some reasons, and Gecko is not the only), but continue to use Firefox, deploy only Firefox and support (as in user support) only Firefox.

4 comments:

  1. I keep my tabs on the bottom and enjoy the freedom I have to configure every part of the UI just as I see fit. You can't do that with Chrome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Valentin. I *really* like some aspects of Chrom(e|ium) but there's one big thing that bothers me about it: you can't change the UI. Firefox's themes, for example, can change just about everything UI-related. Chrom(e|ium)'s themes change the background of the address bar and a few colours. If you want a Print button on the toolbar of Chrome, you need to install an extension. What!? Firefox allows you to customise the toolbar with all its elements ordered as *you* want them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. in my opinion chrome is better than firefox and i am not agree with Valentin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. why so "masaj erotic"? what do you think are Chrome's advantages?

    ReplyDelete